Before the 2017 restoration of this and five others in the series we were lucky to find two photographs from around 1910* showing it beside the former Shipston Picture House, now long gone. At that time it still had its original board showing towns and distances in each direction. This was a breakthrough, giving us the size and shape of the board, and the typeface used. The discovery laid to rest various speculations about the nature and purpose of the posts, including an idea that they were former mailbag hangers!
* Reproduced by kind Permission of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Collection.