In the triangular green at the crossings stands the medieval village cross, reputed by some to mark the centre of England. The original octagonal tapering shaft, on an octagonal base-stone which has broach-stops to make it square at the bottom, stands on a platform of three badly worn steps. Victoria County History Vol IV p148.
A plaque at the base reads “This ancient wayside cross has stood in the village for some 500 years and by tradition it marks the Centre of England. The cross was rebuilt on this site when the green was improved in celebration of the Festival of Britain AD 1951”.
Grid Reference: SP 23915 82274
Postcode: CV7 7LN
To find it: The Cross, The Green, Meriden, Solihull,
To find it on the Map: North West Warwickshire