The photo here shows the post before restoration. It is one of the six restored with thanks to a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant, and was one of the four still standing in place. It had lost one arm, and the upright post was badly corroded. It stands beside the new stretch of Turnpike built in 1844 at the instigation of Sir George Phillips, who considered the view from his house at Weston Hall would be improved by moving the road out of sight to the west. It also avoided the steep hill going north out of Long Compton by skirting around it.